Saturday, January 12, 2008

THE MOMENT...


I know it has been forever since we've put up a post. Our Mac decided to crash a couple of times and give those Mac geniuses a bit of a headache but now it's back better than ever and I don't know where to even begin.

So instead of starting at a logical point I decided to share with you these moments in time.

I've been thinking about a lot of things lately. (Being unemployed will do that to a girl.) One of my ponderings was about my future and what it would be. As most of you know I've loved photography since...well, since I can remember (thanks to the artistic abilities of my parents and watching my dad photograph and teach me how to use his Nikon). The catch is that the style of photography I want to do is artist/editorial pieces. I believe God gives us "eyes" to see different things and those things that touch our hearts turn into passions. I know many photographers have a passion to capture a wedding day or a portrait of a family or take photos of stock products etc. In fact, our wedding photographers, Jenny and James of Visio Photography are inspiring because they are doing exactly what they believe called to do...they have a passion to be more than just photographers but to also bring meaning deeper than just the day to the beginning of two people's lives together. I love that!

I love that but I don't feel that passion. So in the process of years of thinking, observing and praying about how my life can be more than just my life, I've discovered the story. Have you seen pictures that seem to tell a story, they capture a moment in time and seem to begin a story... That's what I want to do! That's my passion... to observe the moment and help tell the story through art. So now that I have known what I feel a desire to do, it's time to share. I have crates full of slides and files full of memory that I keep collecting... just collecting.

The thing about the arts is they are scary - terrifying in fact! You can dream about it all you want but when it really comes down to it, art is meant to be shared. And that my friends is the terrifying part (at least for a procrastinating/perfectionist like yours truly.)

So I decided (as I was sitting, wondering about my life) that this was it...time for photography therapy...time to share some shots with you, all of you and finally get over the fact that you may hate it or you may think it's not even worth a second look (and for those that totally missed it...scroll up a bit on your screen) or finally, some might love it like I do.

I took these shots a couple weeks ago at the Triple Crown on the north shore. Not what you would think of as surfing competition shots? No, but I loved the moment : calm before the salty storm.

Love it / hate it , either way I wanted to start sharing with you... and maybe I'll become brave again and share some more (without the long commentary next time - I promise).

~ Thanks for "listening"

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, oh how I miss you! Yes, we watched the game and Paul cheered so loud I'm surprised you didn't hear him in Hawaii! = ) I'm sorry I missed that phone call too.. I can't remember at the moment, but I was busy and knew I didn't have enough time to talk to you at that moment, so I didn't answer, knowing you would leave a wonderful long message to which I would love! (my soul loves those long messages!)

Second.. I love your pictures.. they are incredible.. and I can see the story.. It is beautiful there, no? It looks like it is.. I do hope to visit soon. P & I are going to Vegas next week.. so maybe in the fall we can head your way?!

Third.. your passion. Oh how I know exactly what you mean.. Searching for my passion seems to be the story of my life.. like you (and Becky) I have shared so many different jobs and the search for my passion never seems to end.. and it seems passions change as well. But you have a wonderful passion for art and you have an eye for it as well. I am excited about seeing your passion come to fruition and I know through the fear of art (you have) you are artful and God has placed in you an eye for art.. I've seen it already and I know you have way more to share!

I love you and I miss you deeply!

Jason and Jennifer Haynes said...

Oh Courtney that was the sweetest post and the best surprise to find at 6 in the morning here...yep early for me! I just got done dropping Jason off and decided to jump on the computer before I went to bed.

I think I did hear Paul all the way over here! Go DAWGS! (Lots of sobs over here. Poor Warriors, it was a sad day in Hawaii.)

Yes, I think a bunch of us girls have artistic abilities in so many different ways and it definitely is a journey to bring meaning to it all. That's one reason I love the blogs. I get a chance to see the different creativity of my friends shine through the web pages.

So glad to hear from you ~ Jen

Sunday Grant Photography said...

you nailed it! all of it, finding your passion,taking pictures, doing what God has enabled you to do! all of it. you said it perfectly. I have been going through that same thing lately. what are my passions? what was i meant to be. it is a very hard question. your images are gorgeous! well done.

Becky Swann said...

Yeah Jen I'm so glad you posted your pictures I've always known of your artistic eye, and now others can know too,(even though alot of us do too) it is SCARY putting your art out there, but it does get easier once the feedback is good! So here you go, those are beautiful pictures and I am thrilled to see more, blogs are a fun safe place to display too! God is going to do wonderful things with your photography he gave you this passion for so long for a reason. Artists do for themselves because it feeds there soul, it's almost like you have no choice, who cares if you never make a penny, I love that you are going to share more now we can all have well fed souls. Fat souls, if you will. Love you, miss you JBFF.

Heidi and Richard King said...

Wow, those pictures are awesome. It makes my heart want to surf...it is the peace before the challenge or knowing that you are about to take on the world, or at least the waves and the obstacles that God has given you at this moment. You are in His will and rising to the challenge beautifully. I pray that you have the peace that comes through in your picture. I love you and miss having your inspiring friendship in person!

Jessica Rodriguez said...

Hey sister! Those pictures are perfect! I love stormy days . . . I can't wait to see and hear all that you are doing. Enjoy this time to do things that you have wanted to do but did not have the time before!! Love you always! -Jesi

MC and Brian Phillips said...

Jen-GOod GRIEF! You are SO TALENTED! Your passion shows in those pictures. I have always secretly really paid attention to your photography, because it is something I really love too, but somehow, I don't feel like it was exactly my calling. I love it, but I only end up frustrating myself- like I did with trying to paint. I admire your knowledge of a photograph- what's artistically awesome- and your photos have always told a story to me. I wanna be more like you....and get my photos to work on blogger from a mac- but it's okay, I have a .mac account and it's in the works.
God gave you an amazing gift and I'm so glad you get to share it with us in this way. Please send more!!

Anonymous said...

Jen, I love the mood created in this series. I can imagine several ways to see these images. 1. Totally focusing on the job ahead, quietening your spirit to give it your all. 2. As a Christian, giving your talent and board to God's glory instead of self gratification and false pride. 3. Worshiping one of the pegan gods of nature, and asking for a blessing. The beauty of the pictures is you don't know, and only if the pictures contain editorial, you are free to imagine, dream, identify with whatever view you have on life. You can examine your own thoughts and wonder if you would as a Christian seek to honor our creator as much as someone who has no eternal certainty in our Savior. Am I as focused, as commited? Would my life speak of more than myself, would it lead others to truth. I miss you, Love Mom

Just April... said...

Jen - I know exactly what you mean about finding, understanding, refining passions. I have been tumbled around in confused circles, struggling with the very same questions. Wanting so bad to REALLY live to REALLY create and to be REALLY authentic in it all. I love your concept....the focus that is evolving in your work. Concentrating on pieces that share that moment, that capture the sense that something bigger is about to happen, is currently happening, or just happened. That idea is powerful and you portay it SO well. Keep with it. Use that genre and make it 'your' thing! I so wish we had more time to sit and talk over things like this in person! Just know I am here, and thinking of you!

Jason and Jennifer Haynes said...

Thank you so much for all of your love and encouragement. I am deeply blessed and humbled by your friendship (Mom and Jes, that counts for you too!) and understanding. I'm glad that you all can relate to the photos and have even found different meaning and stories in them than I did when I looked through the lens.

I'm excited about keeping up this journey with you all. I know there will be times when I show you a piece that you may not care for or relate to but the treasure is in your friendship and encouragement to find God's dreams for me.

Each one of you has incredible artistry in a unique way and I am blessed to have you in my lives and to be able to admire for the uniqueness God has given you.

Thank you ~ Jen

Unknown said...

Agreed, you really spoke truly for all of weird creative people.
It is important to listen to Him, to take in what He wants you to show the world. I believe you are doing this Jen, capturing moment frozen in time to tell a story of the way people "really" feel. It's beautiful to see you following your dreams, sometimes all we need to really do is wait, listen, meditate on his word and then the rest will fall into place, and then with great confidence because it's all flowing through Him.

Rebecca said...

These pictures are amazing!! You have such great talent and I admire your skill!