Monday, November 26, 2007

I'll Show You My Thanksgiving; You Show Me Yours


I hope everyone had a beautiful THANKSGIVING surrounded by friends and family. We did it a little different this year (much smaller) because everyone is spread out around the country. My poor husband was stuck on a island in the Pacific but don't worry, Thanksgiving went on as usual there too. His mom was sweet and gave me the recipe for his favorite Sweet Potato Pie which I made and left for him to enjoy on Turkey day! So a little piece of home made it all the way out there to hula land.


I've been having a great time back home seeing all the dear friends I've missed so much and celebrating a much smaller than usual Thanksgiving with family. A very good friend of mine and I were talking about traditions. She asked what Cuban traditions we added to the meal and I was puzzled by the fact that we didn't do any...well until I walked out of her house and realized: Cuba doesn't have Thanksgiving! (I don't think the pilgrims ever made it to the land of rhythm and tobacco.) I thought about it and asked, why couldn't the Cubans and the Pilgrims meet? From now on, my thanksgiving will be infused with a little Latin flavor and to start it all off, Diablitos a Caballo and Angelitos a Caballo snuggled up to the turkey and dressing on our Thanksgiving table.


{Thanksgiving is not just about the food, everyone had to take time for photo shoots!}

Last Thanksgiving Jason's brother Walt asked me what my family does for Thanksgiving. Being married you get to have a front row seat to view how another family does the holidays. It's fun to realize the things that your family does that someone else's doesn't and vice versa while getting ideas for the things Jason and I will eventually make our family traditions.

With that thought, I'll share a little bit of our holiday with you. What are special things you do and eat?

{Jes and Ash were trying to re-enact romantic photos from their wedding but I had to fire Jes because she wouldn't take it serious.Next time I'm hiring professional models!}

Our menu included:
Breakfast: Homemade Fruit Salad (Grandpa usually makes this but I've apprenticed under him for years so this year it was my job...several tears dropped into the bowl as I remembered Dan Cole and how much I miss him, but isn't that what the holidays are about: sharing love and remembering others.)


Lunch:
Butternut Squash and Pumkin Soup (compliments of chef Ash)
Diablitos a Caballo and Angelitos a Caballo for an appetizer (my Cuban fusion)


Dinner: Turkey of course! (Basted by Mom with white port wine reduction with chicken broth and giblets.)
Stuffing (mmm...grandmas delicious homemade stuffing with onions, chicken broth, olives, pecans, bread crumbs, celery, parsley, herbs etc.)
Gravy (Ash's delicious contribution to the turkey)
Garlic Cream Green Beans
Garlic Mashed Potatoes (Ash again...I can't wait till he has his own restaurant!)


Dessert: Peppermint Chocolate, Espresso Hazelnut, and Pecan Chocolate Pastry Rolls (Jes is the talented baker. She makes things fluffy and sweet and I just end up with flat or burnt. Oh well)
Raspberry, Strawberry, Cranberry and Pecan Mold topped with a Lemon Sour Cream Sauce (This has been a family must since I was little when my mom randomly found it in a children's cook book. This year Grandma Nan made sure this was perfect for the feast.)
Valpolicella and Chianti wines (I wanted to try a Valpolicella because I'm always curious to try new things.)

During dinner we went around the table and said the things we were thankful for. It was mom's idea and a nice way to stop and be grateful because we are so blessed!

Mmmm. I can't wait for Christmas! Jason, Hanna, Uncle Jimmy, Aunt Pam, Daniel, Sylvia, Jason, Lauren, Cindi, Carol and everyone else who couldn't be together this year. I missed you all but I hope you had a wonderful holiday surrounded by friends and love!

{Photos compliments of all the house photographers...I'm a little fuzzy about who did some of them.}

13 comments:

Becky Swann said...

That was a fun little journey through your thanksgiving, I like posts done by Jen, you should do more!! It made me hungry and want to be there, your pictures look like something out of a gourmet magazine!

Anonymous said...

Gosh Jen that looks, sounds and smells so amazing.. I wish I had spent Turkey day at your house! WOW! Can Ash come cook here? Mr. Chef! What a wonderful family you have.. looking at this makes me miss them all so much! It looked like you had a amazing time!

Speaking of being home! We need to get together before you leave!! I miss you!

Sunday Grant Photography said...

those photographs are awesome. thanks for sharing them. thank you also for sharing that wonderful menu. it was straight out of gourmet magazine. you added a little bit of some italian wines to go with your cuban mix.

Unknown said...

Jen, terrific job! I was going to do a Thanksgiving post but now I am thinking of being thankful that I can be lazy and refer all my blogger people to view your talented magazine blog!!!! Love it! You're right; Thanksgiving was small but very fun! I missed everyone else who couldn't be with us this year! Jason, you were missed! It's funny. When I was younger, I couldn't care less about traditions. Now, Ash says I am very sentimental. I realized that things like Grandpa's fruit salad make our Thanksgiving feel like our own even if I have never eaten it. I remember Grandpa making it for years. Then I remember you helping him. Now you carried on the tradition! Great job, Jen! And Grandma and Mom's cooking traditions create my warm memories of Thanksgiving along with going around the table saying what we are thankful for . . . Great idea, Mom! It reminds me of that game, pass the ball, that we played during dinner when we were younger. That was dad's creation, I think. And Jen, you cracked me up about Cuba and Thanksgiving! I never thought about that before. But we are a bunch of Thankful cigar smoking Cubans getting together with Pocahontas (mom) so I guess that qualifies as having Thanksgiving (smile)! Love you all! Next year, the littlest Cuban member will be with us . . . that is unless Hanna's status as youngest gets undermined by a little Haynes member (smile . . . just joking)! Hugs to all!

Jason and Jennifer Haynes said...

I'm glad you all liked the post and I would have loved for you all to have been there! Sunday, you're right, how can we have a celebration without a little Italian mixed in too!

Jes, I'm glad you liked the post...I loved your twist on it too and I'm glad to know I have a kindred spirit with the traditions. I didn't think I was very attached either but I guess I am :-)

Jason and Jennifer Haynes said...

I'm glad you guys liked the post and Becky thanks for the encouragement to do more :-) However, I have to admit that this blog wouldn't exist without Jason. He adds all the "meat" to it while I sit around and fret over colors for days and take a year to perfect one post. So I'm thankful for my husbands and the fact that opposites do attract!

Unknown said...

Great post Jen, congrats.
That is the most amazing Thanksgiving I've ever seen. Did the photos just make it look amazing? You are good at manipulating pictures, is that why the turkey looks perfect and the soup looks professional? No, no, it's because you have the most talented family I know.
So glad to hear it was so good. Can't wait to see you back over here in ol' BM>

Jessica Rodriguez said...

Yea, Jen and Jason . . . you make a great blogging pair not to mention esposa y marido!

David, Ashley, and Samuel said...

Jen, I am really impressed by your food (and now hungry) and how pretty your photos are. Also, I love the title and significance of your blog title. Is that not the truth! I need to read on and figure out what took you two to Hawaii. But wanted to say hello and compliment your blog.

Just April... said...

What a beautiful post - the food looks and sounds gourmet, and the lighting and juxaposition (sp?) of the photos showcases your artistic eye, my dear! It is like looking through a gorgeous magazine spread about how to do Thanksgiving in style! Just lovely!

Heidi and Richard King said...

You are welcome! I am the "good friend" that asked you about your Cuban traditions on Thanksgiving. I am glad to help...anytime. Just kidding, but I totally want be a part of your family. You guys always have so much fun while making something beautiful in the process. Effortlessly also! Love the blog...I hadn't checked in a while

MC and Brian Phillips said...

Jen! We need to get together and take pictures because I want to learn from you...how did you light that photo of Jess blowing a kiss? I mean, did you set it up or did it just turn out that amazing? Such a beautiful post. It really captured the family fun of Thanksgiving...I've been inspired.

MC and Brian Phillips said...

oh yea, and how have you worked it all out so well on a mac???!